The Drupal 8 Configuration Management (CM) is great for managing all of your site config, but it doesn't have an opinion on how to best organize or structure your config and how it might relate to other code on your site. Features allows you to easily organize your config automatically using the new assignment plugin system. This session will discuss various best practices for using Features and CMI together for best results.
What you will learn:
- Quick overview of CM and Features
- When to use CM? When to use Features? When to use both?
- Business rules for organizing configuration (assignment plugins in Features)
- Common deployment workflows from small sites to large Enterprise sites.
- Using CM and Features when building a Distribution (for example: Lightning, Panopoly)
This session will be useful for both beginning and intermediate audiences. Basic knowledge of what Features and configuration management is will be helpful, but some intro for beginners will be provided.
(NOTE: This session is based on material from a BoF at DrupalCon NOLA between the Features and CM teams as well as discussions from the DevOps summit at BadCamp 2015)