CONFERENCE VENUE: National Institutes of Health
Address: Natcher Conference Center, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
Getting to Washington, DC
The Washington D.C. metro area is serviced by three airports:
- Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) - 35 miles away
- Reagan National Airport (DCA) - 20 miles away
- Dulles International Airport (IAD) - 25 miles away
Reagan National Airport (DCA) is the only regional airport with a DC Metro station at this time.
Public transportation is the recommended way to get to the NIH for this conference. Metrorail service (Metro map) is available from Washington's Reagan National Airport and from Union Station (Amtrak railway). If required, BWI Airport does offer an express shuttle bus that runs hourly between the airport and the Greenbelt Metro Station. Take Metro's Red Line to the Medical Center Station. Montgomery County and DC also offer bus service with stops at NIH (links below).
Driving to NIH
If driving to NIH, plan extra time to get through the local congestion and for the vehicle inspection area. To drive onto the campus, approach NIH via Rt. 355 (Rockville Pike) headed south (or u-turn at South Dr.) and turn onto NIH Gateway Drive. Follow the signs to the vehicle inspection area (bear right). All passengers must exit the vehicle and proceed through the security screening (with all electronic devices). Valid photo identification must be presented at this time during a security screening (with metal detector). The vehicle and trunk will be searched while being processed in the security shack.
Once the vehicle inspection has been completed, to park in the visitor lot, simply loop around to the left onto NIH Gateway Dr. to enter the public parking garage. Parking in this lot (MLP-11) costs $2/hour for the first three hours and $12 for the entire day (note that it is not a Metro parking lot so it does not accept SmartTrip cards for payment). To drive onto campus, simply follow the path and make the first right into the Natcher parking lot. Note that visitor parking on campus is extremely limited and the lot by Natcher typically fills by 7:30 am.
NOTE for exhibitors: Booth materials can be shipped in advance rather than driven onto campus. Contact the organizers for more details.
- Driving directions
- NIH Traffic Radio (AM1660)
- Visitor Map (for the NIH campus)
- Building Accessibility Maps
Security & Getting to Natcher
The Metro station's escalators and the parking garage both exit in front of the NIH Visitor Gateway Center. All visitors must pass through a security screening with a metal detector and present a valid driver’s license or passport to get onto campus. Some drivers licenses have been issued with “not for federal identification” printed on them - these will not be accepted by NIH security.
After obtaining a NIH visitor badge, there are two options to get to the conference venue:
- Walk: look for stairs or elevator on the left just past the badging station. Go up one floor and exit the Gateway Center. Follow the walkway to the left and up the hill. Natcher is directly ahead. (5 minute walk)
- Shuttle: head down the ramp/corridor to the right just past the badging station to exit the building onto the campus. The NIH shuttle stop is ahead - look for either the NIH Campus Limited shuttle (first stop will be Building 45/Natcher) or the NIH Campus shuttle (last stop will be Building 45/Natcher).
NIH is a tobacco-free campus. The use of all tobacco products (including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco, or other tobacco products) is prohibited at all times.