There are two types of mistakes, errors of ignorance (mistakes we make because we don’t know enough), and errors of ineptitude (mistakes we make because we don’t use of what we know). No matter how much of an expert you are, a well-designed checklist can improve outcomes. A checklist is a written guide that walks you through the key steps of a complex procedure. This session builds on popular presentations I’ve given multiple times including, “10 Steps Not To Forget After Installing Drupal” and “The Ultimate Drupal Launch Checklist” to provide tools to better manage Drupal projects. Taking inspiration from Atul Gawande’s “The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right”, this session presents 4 checklists to improve results.
Out of the box Drupal? Drupal's flexibility comes at a cost. After installing Drupal developers still have a bit of work to do. The pre-development checklist provides a framework to help manage the initial buildout and provide a better, more efficient development experience for your team. The pre-development checklist covers often forgotten steps to get a fresh installation together like:
- Configurations to build a site faster by making development easier at the start
- Often missed configurations that should be in place from the start
Next we’ll review a buildout checklist that will cover best practices to pull a new Drupal site together. This includes a set of important, common elements to include in every Drupal buildout.
Your team spends hundreds of hours designing and building a Drupal. But when launch time comes there's still plenty of work to be done. The launch checklist covers launch time from every angle, providing orderly steps to avoid post launch surprises. The launch checklist includes:
- Pre-Launch Steps to be sure your site is ready for prime time
- Launch Steps to make your development site production quality
The post launch checklist is a guide to finish off a site and make the hand off to site maintainers go more smoothly including:
- Monitoring a site after launch
- Tools to put in place to collect user behavior
- Steps to get your site noticed after launch
The pre-development checklist, buildout checklist, launch checklist, and post launch checklist are a great start to using checklists to improve building with Drupal from start to finish.
- Reveal how checklists can be used to manage a Drupal project
- Offer tips on how to make a site more user friendly and builder friendly
- Make launching Drupal sites go more smoothly
- Share tools and tips for managing a successfully Drupal project
- Project managers and team leads
- Experienced site builders and developers