Having tackled two multilingual builds in the past year, one with just 2 languages and the next with 5 (!) -- including a Right-to-Left language -- we want to share what we've learned. We will walk you through the building blocks and the underlying concepts that go into building a multilingual Drupal 8 site. We will also touch on decisions that need to be made around translations and managing the content.
Things we'll talk about:
- An overview of the multi-language experience that we wanted to create.
- A review of the core modules involved, and the basic setup required to enable multilingual translation.
- The difference between content, config, and interface translations.
- The structure of multilingual content, and decisions to make when migrating content.
- Right-to-Left language challenges.
- A look into translating views.
- Considerations for search.
- Making sure your custom code is translatable.
- Managing the translations process
- Gotchas, tips and tricks, lessons learned.